Saturday, November 12, 2016

Toffee Cracker Crack

I'm not even kidding in the title when I say this stuff is "crack." This treat is highly addicting and freakishly easy to throw together in a moments notice. Who doesn't have saltines, brown sugar, butter, chocolate chips and pecans in their pantry!?!? I know I always have these 5 ingredients stocked in my pantry. This is now become a problem because of my addiction to crack!
 

My husband Dusty is the source of my new "crack" addiction. He introduced me to the crack a few months ago and I've been addicted ever since. He has a ridiculous sweet tooth and is always looking for new treats to make, which is trouble for me. He put together this recipe in no time and I'm pretty sure the pan was gone in 24-48 hours. Oops! 
 
 
I gotta let you know, this recipe is definitely not an original. It's actually a holiday classic and more commonly known as "Christmas Crack." Dusty and I didn't see what was so Christmas-y about it, so we decided to change the name up a bit. It just doesn't seem right to be eating a Christmas treat in the middle of July or September....hence the name change. It clears our guilty conscious! Plus, we just can't eat this treat only once a year. Although, I guarantee if you did make this for any holiday gathering, it would be a huge hit! It's just too good!

This recipe is in no way "healthy" and definitely qualifies as the 20% of the eat 80/20 lifestyle. But you gotta splurge and have a treat every once in a while!

Just be careful....this treat is addicting! Don't say I didn't warn you!

Toffee Cracker Crack
Servings: 20-25 pieces
  • 40-42 Saltine Crackers
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) Salted Butter
  • 1 cup Dark Brown Sugar
  • 2 cups Milk Chocolate Chips
  • 3/4 cup chopped Pecans
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees (F). Line a 9x13 baking sheet with parchment paper or non-stick baking mat. Line the baking sheet with saltine crackers, salt side down.

In a small saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar together over medium-high heat. Bring it to a boil for 3 minutes without stirring. Pour the caramel sauce over the saltine crackers and smooth evenly with a spatula. Bake in the oven for 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips in increments of 30 seconds, stirring in-between until melted and smooth.

Remove the baking sheet of crackers from the oven and pour the melted chocolate evenly using a spatula. Sprinkle the chopped pecans over top of the melted chocolate. Place the baking sheet in the freezer for 1-2 hours until the toffee crackers are firm and cooled. Break into pieces and enjoy!

*The longer in the freezer the better. These toffee crackers keep well in a storage container/bag in the freezer too!
Recipe inspired and adapted by Table for Two

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...