Monday, January 13, 2014

Chicken Satay with Sweet Potato-Peanut Dipping Sauce


Now that school, the honeymoon and Christmas are over, I'm officially back into the swing of things at home with my two boys. I'm also back to cooking three meals a day due to lack of restaurant options and absolutely loving every second of it. I'm loving not having to eat at the school cafeteria, and I definitely know that Dusty is relieved he doesn't have to rely on frozen Schwan's meals anymore. It's nice to have our meals back to normal once again.


As much as I love cooking, I don't want to be doing it all day. That is why these chicken satay skewers are the perfect lunch. Packed with flavor but quick and easy to whip up. Star Fine Foods came out with a new line of Cuisine Cooking Oils that are infused with different flavors, depending on the cuisine. I brushed the Asian Soy & Ginger oil on the chicken before putting them on the grill and it added the most beautiful hints of flavor to the chicken satay.

 
What I love most about this recipe is that I was able to sneak sweet potatoes into it without Dusty knowing. I found out two weeks ago that my husband, whom I thought I knew absolutely everything about, despises sweet potatoes! Who is this man? I know nothing about him! All those times I made sweet potato fries and he didn't eat them....it all makes sense now!
 
After Dusty ate a couple bites of his lunch, I slyly asked how he liked it. He replied, "Love it! The flavors are awesome, the chicken is grilled perfectly and the sauce is really good." I giggled and said, "Oh really??? That's funny, because it has sweet potatoes in it!" (insert evil laugh) Muahaha! He just shrugged his shoulders, smiled at me and kept eating, despite the fact that the sauce was made with sweet potatoes, because it was that good.
 

Chicken Satay with Sweet Potato-Peanut Dipping Sauce
{Serves 4}
 
-1-1/2 pounds boneless, skinless Chicken Breasts
-1/2 teaspoon Salt
-1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
-1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
-1/4 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
-2 tablespoons Star Fine Foods Asian Soy & Ginger Cuisine Cooking Oil
-1 clove minced Garlic
-1/4 cup Coconut Milk
-1/4 cup Sweet Potato Puree (check baby food aisle!)
-1/4 cup Creamy Peanut Butter
-2 tablespoon Soy Sauce
-Juice of 1 Lime (2 tablespoons)
-1/8 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
-12 Wooden Skewers

For the Sweet Potato-Peanut Dipping Sauce:
Combine the minced garlic, coconut milk, sweet potato puree, peanut butter, soy sauce, lime juice and cayenne pepper in a bowl. Whisk to combine until smooth. Set aside.

For the Chicken Satay:
Heat a grill or large skillet over medium heat. Cut the chicken breast into one-inch thin strips. Thread the chicken breast strips onto the skewers. In a small bowl combine the salt, garlic powder, black pepper and smoked paprika. Evenly sprinkle the spice mixture onto both sides of the chicken skewers. Brush the 2 tablespoons of Asian Soy & Ginger Cuisine Cooking Oil over the chicken skewers to evenly coat. Add the skewers to the grill and cook for 10-12 minutes, turning the chicken halfway, until the chicken is cooked all the way through. Serve with the dipping sauce and either cooked rice, couscous or quinoa. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, finally you're back into the swing of things!! YAY!!! I'm so all over this for a quick meal. Satay is one of my most favorite of favorites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I'm so happy to be done with school FOREVER and back into blogging. I missed it so much...you have no idea!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...