Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Parmesan Gnocchi

This recipe has been a long time coming. In fact, I've been meaning to create this recipe since February when I first encountered Parmesan Gnocchi at one of my favorite restaurants in Billings, The Granary.


My parents came to visit us in Billing for Shrek: The Musical back in February and before the show we went to dinner at The Granary. We don't usually order appetizers, but one of my nursing classmates was working there that night and convinced us that the Parmesan Gnocchi was pretty spectacular. We agreed and the next thing we knew a large rim bowl was brought to our table with beautiful gnocchi dumplings swimming in a pool of the most wonderful cream sauce. The gnocchi was gone in seconds between the five of us at the table and we then started dunking our slices of bread in the sauce to savor every last drop. The next morning we drove over to World Market and loaded up on gnocchi (I should have bought more!) so we could try recreating it ourselves.

The funniest part was my dad couldn't quite grasp the pronunciation of gnocchi. It's really pronounced noh-kee, but my dad kept calling it nookie. You know, like the stuff done behind closed bedroom doors! My dad was telling everyone that night "how much he loves nookie" and we were all laughing hysterically. It's now become the family joke and gnocchi will never be pronounced the same among us.

After all this time, the packages of gnocchi we bought back in February have been sitting in my pantry calling my name. The other night I finally decided to give it a go and try to recreate that marvelous parmesan cream myself. To my pleasure and excitement, I replicated the cream sauce perfectly! Now that I don't live in Billings anymore I can have Parmesan Gnocchi here in Chester!

Parmesan Gnocchi
{Serves 4}

-16 ounce packaged Potato Gnocchi
-2 tbsp Butter
-1 cup Whipping Cream
-1/2 tsp Salt
-1/4 tsp Pepper
-1 tsp dried Basil or 1 tbsp fresh basil minced
-2 tbsp Dried Sun-Dried Tomatoes re-hyrdrated and minced
-1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan Cheese

Cook gnocchi according to directions on package. Drain and set aside.

Heat a large saucepan over medium heat and melt the 2 tbsp of butter. Once melted, add the cream, salt and pepper. Stir to combine and bring the sauce to a boil, then reduce heat. Stir frequently while the sauce gently boils and thickens for 3-5 minutes. Add the basil and sun-dried tomatoes to the thickened sauce and heat through for 1 minute over low heat. Remove the saucepan from heat and stir in the 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese. Place the gnoochi on a serving dish and pour the sauce over top. Enjoy!

Recipe Inspired & Adapted By: The Granary & Anyone Can Cook

2 comments:

  1. You know that part in "When Harry met Sally" and she is screaming..."yes, yes, yes"? Yeah...this sauce is THAT good!
    Thanks for posting it!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...