Monday, June 17, 2013

Avocado Mango Salsa

I feel like summer has finally arrived! Dusty, Duke and I headed to the local farmers market on Thursday where we enjoyed watching Duke interact with little kiddos, ate a couple burgers and met even more people in the community. My favorite purchase of the evening was a large flower box with 4 different varieties of lettuce. Hopefully I don't kill them! So far my black thumb hasn't been too bad because my tomato plant is starting to grow tomatoes and my mason jar herb garden is starting to sprout little herbs. Maybe I can continue my lucky streak and keep the lettuce box alive! The market didn't have produce yet because it's still early in the season, but I look forward to getting some when it finally does arrive.

So in the meantime while I patiently wait for the farmers market produce, I'll have to get my produce at the local grocery store. My small grocery store in my very tiny town may not have a lot of variety, but it does have two of my favorite things this summer....Avocados and Mangos! Living in Billings, I couldn't find any mangos and if I did, it was either super firm or overly ripe. The produce there was always sad and pitiful. Surprisingly, the mangoes here in Chester are always perfectly ripe and ready for cooking, baking and eating. Who would have thought? 


So what better than to combine my two favorite tropical foods to make one awesome salsa. A couple years ago when I was an assistant for culinary classes, we hosted a Mexican themed class with the best avocado-mango salsa. The only type of salsa I'd had before was always tomato-based like in a jar or at a restaurant. I loved this new salsa combo when I first encountered it and I still do! That's why years later I am still making this slightly sweet, tangy and creamy salsa. 

Grab a bag of tortilla chips, a margarita and enjoy this fresh salsa with your friends and family! It will be a huge hit and everyone will love it. You won't be able to stop scooping up and shoveling in your mouth this avocado-mango goodness!

Avocado Mango Salsa
(Serves 2-4)

-2 Hass Avocados, diced
-1 tbsp Lime Juice
-2 Mangos, peeled, seeded and diced
-1/2 cup finely diced Red Onion
-2 tbsp chopped Cilantro
-4 ounce can Diced Green Chiles
-Salt to taste

Place the diced avocados in a bowl and toss with the 1 tbsp of lime juice. Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl and stir to combine. Serve with tortilla chips or with your favorite Mexican dish! Enjoy!

Recipe Inspired & Adapted By: The Copper Colander

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...