Monday, January 7, 2013

The Perfect Omelet

Yesterday morning when I woke up and made breakfast, I didn't expect that I would be making the most perfect omelet I have ever encountered in my life.

Like I had said in my previous post, I bought two new Barefoot Contessa cookbooks that I absolutely love. The recipes are earthly, sophisticated, elegant and simple, yet challenging. Everything I love about cooking. I've read them both cover-to-cover and have incorporated a handful of her recipes into my weekly menu planning already.

When I saw the recipe for Omelet for 2, I instantly knew that I must make it since I only cook for two on a daily basis for Dusty and myself. Rarely do you find a recipe for two! Such a rare creature in the culinary world! Everything is for 4, 6 or 8 servings, which means I'm constantly doing math and division on a daily basis.

So back to yesterday.

Dusty and I slept in because it's Sunday, and that is what you do on Sunday. I rolled out of bed and headed to the kitchen to make breakfast and approximately 30 minutes later I pulled my omelet out of the oven. I snapped this picture for Instagram, not knowing what I was just about to encounter....

The perfect omelet.

I split the omelet in half, gave Dusty his half of the omelet and took a bite of mine. After only one bite, I knew I was in for something amazing so I ran over to the window to get another picture with my iphone. I kept thinking, I must share this recipe! I don't care how nice the photo looks, I gotta do a post on this omelet! The world must taste this omelet!!!

Thanks to Ina Garten and her wonderful Omelet for 2 recipe, I was a culinary goddess in Dusty's eyes that morning. He kept singing my praises all morning and gave me a huge kiss just for making him the best omelet he has ever had in his life. I pretty much felt like a rock star and I want all of you to make this omelet for your loved ones so that you can be culinary gods/goddess's for your family too!

I'm not kidding. This omelet is goooood! The eggs were fluffy, but not to eggy. The cheese was cheesy, but not too cheesy. The flavors from the potatoes, bacon, jalapeno and two types of onions were just absolutely perfect. What I love most is that the ingredients are so simple and pretty much everyone has them in their refrigerator already!

Do yourself a favor and make this omelet for breakfast! You are going to love it. 

Omelet for 2: by Ina Garten's Barefoot Contessa At Home
{Serves 2}

-1/4 lb Bacon
-1 tbsp unsalted Butter
-1 cup medium-diced Yukon Gold Potatoes
-1/2 cup chopped Yellow Onion
-1 tbsp minced Jalapeno Pepper
-5 extra-large Eggs 
-2 tbsp Milk or Cream
-1 tsp Kosher Salt
-1/2 tsp freshly ground Black Pepper
-1/4 cup chopped Scallions, white and green parts
-4 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar Cheese, diced, plus grate cheese for garnish

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Cut the bacon crosswise in 1-inch pieces. Cook the bacon in an 8 inch ovenproof saute pan over medium-low heat for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally until browned. Drain the bacon on paper towels and discard the fat from the pan. Add the butter to the pan, then add the potato and yellow onion. Cook over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes, tossing occasionally, until the onion starts to brown and the potato is tender but firm. Add the jalapeno pepper and cook for 30 seconds.

Meanwhile, in a medium bowl beat the eggs, milk, salt and pepper together with a fork. Stir in the scallions and diced cheddar. When the potato is cooked, add the bacon to the pan and pour over the egg mixture. Place the pan in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until the omelet puffs and eggs are almost cooked in the center. Sprinkle with a handful of grated Cheddar and bake for another minute. Serve hot directly from the pan.

*Some changes I made to the recipe...
I used salted butter, shredded (not diced) cheddar cheese and large eggs instead of extra-large. Also, I used a 10 inch pan because that is what I had. The changes I made to the original recipe were delicious and perfect because I worked with what I had in my kitchen. That's what cooking is all about! 

If you want the recipe to serve more than 2, you can easily cut it into thirds or fourths. I would just maybe serve the omelet along with a fruit salad, sliced oranges or strawberries to go along with it.

 
I can't wait for you to make this for breakfast!

1 comment:

  1. Aren't omelettes just the best - your looks delicious - love the ingredients :))
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...