Saturday, December 22, 2012

Top 10 Favorite Movies of 2012

The name of my blog says it all, I'm a "girly girl" and it's true. But what you might not know about me is that Dusty and I love going to the movies. Seriously love it. We love going to the movie theater, renting movies and watching Netflix. Being that I'm a "girly girl" and all, you would think I would only be a fan of the romantic dramas and/or chick-flicks, but that is soooo not the case.



My favorite movie genres are thriller, action, historical dramas and adult comedies. Basically, I have the movie preference of a man, but those movies are in my opinion the best and extremely entertaining! So when I created my top 10 list of movies I loved for 2012, it's no surprise that these following movies made the list...

10. The Dark Knight Rises
Synopsis: Eight years on, a new terrorist leader, Bane, overwhelms Gotham's finest, and the Dark Knight resurfaces to protect a city that has branded him an enemy.

Star Rating: 8.7

Why I Love It: The last in the 3 part trilogy, this movie goes out in with a bang! Anne Hathaway as the seductive Cat Woman and Tom Hardy as the super muscular and powerful Bane add to the fantastic character line-up in this Batman series. Pretty much I just loved the character Bane. His voice is indescribable and unique, plus those muscles...oh those gorgeous muscles. The story line has shocking twists and turns that have you on the edge of your seat, plus some surprises for you at the end!

9. Skyfall
Synopsis: Bond's loyalty to M is tested as her past comes back to haunt her, bringing MI6 under attack.

Star Rating: 8.0

Why I love it: Sorry Sean Connery, but Daniel Craig is my favorite Bond of all time! I just love how he gives Bond a raw edge about him. Plus, did you know Daniel Craig does all of his own stunts? Impressive! I also enjoyed how the past of Bond is explored more so you can get deeper into the mind of 007. The train scene at the beginning gets you sucked into the action right away and Javier Bardem is the perfect super genius!

8. The Bourne Legacy
Synopsis: An expansion of the universe from Robert Ludlum's novels, centered on a new hero whose stakes have been triggered by the 
events of the previous three films.

Star Rating: 6.7

Why I love it: Having a B.S. in Microbiology makes me a super geek. So anything that has to do with gene alteration and genetics, I'm all over it! Jeremy Renner has become one of my favorite actors after watching him in The Hurt Locker and I find myself just loving to watch him as an actor in all his movies. Like Daniel Craig, he also has a raw edge about him that grabs your attention. I love how this chapter in the Bourne series actually runs parallel to the last Bourne movie. The action-packed events occurring to Aaron Cross coincide with Jason Bourne during The Bourne Ultimatum.   


7. The Cabin in the Woods
Synopsis: Five friends go for a break at a remote cabin in the woods, where they get more than they bargained for. Together, they must discover the truth behind the cabin in the woods.

Star Rating: 7.2

Why I love it: Sounds like your typical horror movie, right? WRONG! During the month of October, to celebrate Halloween Dusty and I only watch scary movies. It's a thing we started a couple of year ago. When we saw this movie had a 7.2 star rating, we had to investigate because most scary movies never rank this high. About 5 minutes into the movie we realized why. The Cabin in the Woods is a scary movie, but also a comical and witty tribute to all horror films. It's brilliant, scary and surprisingly hysterical (but not in a cheesy way). I absolutely loved this movie. 


6. The Raven
Synopsis: When a madman begins committing horrific murders inspired by Edgar Allan Poe's works, a young Baltimore detective joins forces with Poe to stop him from making his stories a reality

Star Rating: 6.3

Why I love it: According to history, Edgar Allan Poe's death is a total mystery. Due to the lack of technology and resources in the 1800's, the cause of his death with never be know. This movie tries to explain the cause of his death with a thrilling and mysterious story line.  


5. Ted
Synopsis: As the result of a childhood wish, John Bennett's teddy bear, Ted, came to life and has been by John's side ever since - a friendship that's tested when Lori, John's girlfriend of four years, wants more from their relationship.

Star Rating: 7.3

Why I love it: 3 words...Dirty. Raunchy. Hysterical. I laughed so hard throughout this movie. Typical Seth Macfarlane sense of humor and comedy, but even better. Mark Wahlberg and Mila Kunis are hysterical in this movie as well. I just enjoyed every second of this movie!


4. The Hunger Games
Synopsis: Katniss Everdeen voluntarily takes her younger sister's place in the Hunger Games, a televised fight to the death in which two teenagers from each of the twelve Districts of Panem are chosen at random to compete.

Star Rating: 7.3

Why I love it: At first the idea of children being put into an arena to kill one another kinda disturbed me. But then I decided to go watch the movie and I got sucked in. As an older sister, I related to Katniss by volunteering to protect her sister. I would totally do the same. I call it my "momma bear instincts" because I'm super protective over my little sis. As most girls do, I also loved the love-triangle between Katniss, Gale and Peeta. Are you team Gale or Peeta? I'm totally team Peeta. I love me some Peeta. The movie is action-packed, political, serious, sad and extremely entertaining. After watching the movie, I read the books and became obsessed. I read all 3 books in one week. So good!

3. Lincoln
Synopsis: As the Civil War continues to rage, America's president struggles with continuing carnage on the battlefield and as he fights with many inside his own cabinet on the decision to emancipate the slaves.

Star Rating: 8.3 

Why I love it: Daniel Day-Lewis. Wow. Probably the greatest actor of all time. You forget you are watching Day-Lewis and actually think you are watching Lincoln before you. I could go on forever talking about the things I loved about his performance, but I'll  just say this....Daniel Day-Lewis as Lincoln is the most amazing performance by an actor of all time!


2. The Avengers
Synopsis: Nick Fury of S.H.I.E.L.D. brings together a team of super humans to form The Avengers to help save the Earth from Loki and his army.

Star Rating: 8.4

Why I love it: After years of making separate Marvel movies, finally all of them have come together to make the coolest action-comic hero movie of all time. Action-packed, witty, exciting, and hysterical. This movie has it all. The story-line of this movie is brilliant, smart and a fun time for all. I saw this movie multiple times in theater with Dusty. We loved this movie....and guess what! They are making a sequel! 


1. Argo
Synopsis: A dramatization of the 1980 joint CIA-Canadian secret operation to extract six fugitive American diplomatic personnel out of revolutionary Iran.

Star Rating: 8.2

Why I love it: I was so surprised that this was my favorite movie of 2012. Based on a real historical event that was use to be classified by the government, it seems too impossible to be true. The fear, raw emotion and tension throughout the movie from beginning to end was incredible. Ben Affleck directing was very impressive, smart and he was amazing at creating such an intense tension throughout the movie you could cut it with a knife. The entire movie you are sitting on the edge of your seat gripping for the characters. Will they make it? Will they get out? Dusty had to lean over and tell me to calm down a couple of times because I was so into the movie and freaking out with suspense...which is funny because you know how the movie is going to end the entire time. All I know is that this movie better win some Academy Awards and even Best Picture. Go see it! You will love it.


Well, there you have it....my top 10 list for 2012! There are still a few movies being released before the year is over and here are some movies I still need/want to see:
Django Unchained
Les Miserables
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
This is 40

Can't wait to see them! I'm sure they will be added to the list.

What was your favorite movie this year? Are there any that I missed?

*Star Ratings, Pictures & Synopsis source from IMDB.com*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...