Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Eating British

A couple of weeks ago I became obsessed with Downton Abbey. Have you watched it? Well, you should! I  had previously heard about the show, but was kinda weary about watching it because it sounded like your typical British show...boring. I have yet to make it through Pride & Prejudice. I seriously have tried watching that movie at least 5 times and have fallen asleep each time. I don't get what is wrong with me. Maybe I'll try it again and the 6th time will be the charm.


Anyways, back to the point. Downton Abbey. Love it. Watched both seasons in 2 days. I think the reason I enjoy it so much is because of the attention to detail in the show. The clothing, food, decorations, manners, everything! They don't miss a single thing with this show and it's fascinating to observe how the different classes interact with one another. 



Plus, Matthew Crawley (sigh), what a wonderful, beautiful man. And Branson, how I love Branson! 

Can you believe Season 3 doesn't start until January?!? Well, I've got a secret. I found this pin on Pinterest to the Season 3 episodes 1 & 2 that are now airing in England! It's legit, because I've already watched it and it is soooo good!

So with this new fascination for everything British sparked by the show, I brought out my British cookbook that I bought a couple years ago for the Royal Wedding and started perusing delicious recipes that the royal family enjoy. 

I love this Cottage Pie.
The gravy, meat and mashed potatoes are the ultimate comfort food!

And this Eton Mess
Such a fancy, but simple dessert!

The other night, I made a chicken breast recipe from Julia Child's cookbook and accompanied the chicken with a fantastic side dish from my cookbook "Eating Royally" of Marinated Portabella Mushrooms that I would have never ever thought of making unless I had this cookbook. So good and so simple! Dusty was impressed and gobbled it up!

Marinated Portabella Mushrooms
By Darren McGrady
{4 servings}

-4 large Portabella Mushrooms
-1/2 cup Olive Oil
-1 tbsp Worchestershire Sauce
-2 tbsp Tarragon Vinegar (I used regular white distilled vinegar)
-2 tbsp Red Wine
-1 tsp finely chopped Green Onions
-1/4 tsp dried Thyme
-1 clove Garlic
-1/4 tsp Salt
-1/4 tsp Ground Pepper

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and place the oven rack on the center. 

Peel the skin off the mushrooms to allow the marinade to seep into the flesh. Carefully remove the center stem out of the mushrooms and then cut the mushrooms in half on the bias. 

Whisk together the olive oil, Worchestershire sauce, vinegar, red wine, green onion, thyme, garlic, salt and pepper, and pour into a ziplock bag. Add the mushrooms, and marinate at room temperature for about 1 hour, turning the bag occasionally.

Place the mushrooms onto a baking sheet and cook in the center of the oven until tender, 15-20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

ENJOY!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
On another note, every week I'm trying to make at least one ethnic dish such as Mexican/Spanish or Asian....why not European?!?! It's my goal is to make at least one dish a week that is European, that way it introduces new flavors into the menu each week! Today I loaded up on some fun Oktoberfest foods from World Market. Next week I will be making spaetzle for the first time!

Any fun and unique recipes that involve sauerkraut and sweet German mustard that don't involve bratwurst?!? I need ideas!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
P.S. You gotta check out Call the Midwife!!! It's another British show that is on PBS on Sunday's that is awesome too! LOVE THIS SHOW!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...