Monday, August 9, 2010

Zucchini Cakes

On Saturday I went to Farmer's Market with a mission: I was going to buy fresh produce and support the locals!

After watching the movie "Food Inc," you feel dirty for being in a grocery store and support the big corporations. I actually discovered at Farmer's Market that most produce is cheaper that in the stores. I was able to get 3 good size zucchini's for only $1 and 4 onions for $2! What a steal! Although, I blew my money on Huckleberries....those don't come cheap no matter where you go! $10 for 1 pound...OUCH! I bought a pound and I am holding out for the perfect recipe for my precious Huckleberries.

Now that I have 3 Zucchinis, what the heck am I going to make?
I'll tell you what I'm going to make...Zucchini Cakes!
These are so delicious and full of wonderful flavors.

This is what you need:
 -1 medium sized Zucchini-grated
-1 clove of Garlic-minced
-1/4 cup Seasoned Breadcrumbs
-1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese (shredded or grated-whatever tickles your fancy)
-1 Egg
-Salt and Pepper to taste
-Olive Oil

First wash the Zucchini, cut the ends off and grate them in your cheese grater. Then take the shredded zucchini and sqeeze as much water out of it as possible using a clean dish towel. It's important to get as much liquid out as possible so that the cakes cook more efficient.

Place the zucchini in a bowl and combine all the ingredients (except olive oil) and mix them together with a fork. Form the mixture into patties about the size of silver dollar  pancakes.

Over Medium Heat, heat up your pan and then add the olive oil. Let it sit for a minute so that it gets nice and hot too. Place 2-3 patties at a time in the pan and let them cook for 2 minutes on one side and then flip them over with a spatula and let them cook on the other side for 2 more minutes until both sides are a nice golden crispy brown.

That's it...4 minutes of cook time and then you have delicious zucchini cakes!
Enjoy!
P.S. If you have noticed that my pictures are about 100% better quality, it's because I stole Dusty's camera and I'm holding it hostage!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...